When We Are Closed

If your injury or illness is severe, or you have had a serious accident call 999 and ask for an ambulance or visit your local A&E Department.

For anything else that cant wait until the surgery opens please telephone: 111

The 111 number is operated by NHS County Durham and Darlington, the aim is to provide health advice to patients when the surgery is closed or when a 999 emergency call is not appropriate. 

This service is for urgent medical situations – if you, or a member of your family, become ill and you are concerned.  It is not for routine enquiries, such as booking an appointment with your GP, repeat prescriptions, test results etc.

A trained member of staff will answer the phone and take some details from you.  They will pass your details straight over to a doctor or nurse, who will phone you back to ask you more about the problem and, with you, will decide the best option for you.  Depending on the seriousness of your condition, this might be one of the following:

  • Advice over the phone. 
  • A visit to a local treatment centre.
  • A home visit by a nurse, doctor or Paramedic.


Visit a local Pharmacy (chemist). 

Your local paper will have details of Pharmacies open late on weekdays and on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.


REMEMBER:Call 999 in an emergency. Chest pains and / or shortness of breath constitute an emergency.


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website